Agriscience Fair Categories
Are you not sure what category your project is under and want to double check? Click on the button below and fill out the form to make sure your project is in the correct category!
Animal Systems (AS)
The study of animal systems, including life processes, health, nutrition, genetics, management and processing, through the study of small animals, aquaculture, livestock, dairy, horses and/or poultry.
- Compare nutrient levels on animal growth
- Research new disease control mechanisms
- Effects of estrous synchronization on ovulation
- Compare effects of thawing temperatures on livestock semen
- Effects of growth hormone on meat/milk production
Environmental Service/Natural Resource Systems (ENR)
Environmental Service Systems: The study of systems, instruments and technology used to monitor and minimize the impact of human activity on environmental systems.
Natural Resource Systems: The study of the management, protection, enhancement and improvement of soil, water, wildlife, forests and air as natural resources.
- Effect of agricultural chemicals on water quality
- Effects of cropping practices on wildlife populations
- Compare water movements through different soil types
Food Products and Processing Systems (FPP)
The study of product development, quality assurance, food safety, production, regulation and compliance and food service within the food science industry.
- Effects of packaging techniques on food spoilage rates
- Resistance of organic fruits to common diseases
- Determining chemical energy stored in foods
- Control of molds on bakery products
- Effects of the amount of sucrose used in baked goods
- Use of a triangle test in sensory science
Plant Systems (PS)
The study of plant life cycles, classifications, functions, structures, reproduction, media and nutrients, as well as growth and cultural practices, through the study of crops, turf grass, trees and shrubs and/or ornamental plants.
- Determine rates of transpiration in plants
- Effects of heavy metals such as cadmium on edible plants
- Compare GMO and conventional seed/plant growth under various conditions
- Effects of lunar climate and soil condition on plant growth
- Compare plant growth of hydroponics and conventional methods
Power, Structural and Technical Systems (PST)
The study of agricultural equipment, power systems, alternative fuel sources and precision technology, as well as woodworking, metalworking, welding and project planning for agricultural structures.
- Develop alternate energy source engines
- Create minimum energy use structures
- Compare properties of various alternative insulation products
- Investigation of light/wind/water energy sources
Social Science (SS)
The study of agricultural areas including agricultural education, agribusiness, agricultural communication, agricultural leadership and sales in agriculture, food and natural resources.
- Investigate perceptions of community members toward alternative agricultural practices
- Determine the impact of local/state/national safety programs upon accident rates in agricultural/natural resource occupations
- Comparison of profitability of various agricultural/natural resource practices
- Investigate the impact of significant historical figures on a local community
- Determine the economic effects of local/state/national legislation impacting agricultural/natural resources
- Consumer confidence and understanding of food labels
- Economic effect of employment rate and meat consumption